Re: Kabalas (was RE: Since Ari asked . . . )

I would definitely agree with Seth's analysis of the strengths and challenges
of the Kabalas.  To me they are an interesting and quite enjoyable form of
fringe Jewish music.  One problem with their music is that the jokiness at
times subsumes everything else.  In fact there is a lot more going on.

Instrumentally they rely heavily on Jewish tunes and manage to bridge the
divide between Yiddishist and Zionist Jewish culture.  You get Odessa Bulgar
and Der Rebbe's Sud next to Erev Ba and Shir la Shalom.

As American Jewish music, the Kabalas mix Jewish sounds and song topics with
a range of American popular styles to create a unique hybrid.  For me it is
equally interesting what they are doing with this hybrid.  They play for
Jewish events, but they also take their music to totally non-Jewish venues
like a blues bar in Lincoln, Nebraska where Jewish and non-Jewish listeners
will hear Jewish sounds and stories (eg. The Golem) - possibly for the first
time.

Clearly, the Kabalas are not core Jewish music.  But maybe this type ironic
Pop Culture/Jewish Music fusion can be understood in the tradition of the
intermingling of Jewish tradition with the host culture.  Both for the
development of "Jewish music" broadly, and for the individual accomplishment
of Jewish performers, this mixing has been essential.  This was the case when
Romanian and other folk music was integrated into Jewish music, so why not
when "crime jazz" and TV theme songs are used by Jewish performers?  This
particular combination certainly feels more like Jewish music to me than 15
minutes of Ornette Coleman with a thirty second klezmer rif in the middle.

I clearly would not want a Jewish music diet that only included the Kabalas,
but they are a fun dessert.

Gideon