Yiddish in the Park - Cleveland

Marvelous event!  The Workmen's Circle Klezmer Orchestra played for an
hour before the main concert.  Then came the wonderful musicians from St
Petersburg, Russia, coordinated by the always amazing Adrienne Cooper.
Leonid Sonts, violin; Maria Yakubovich, Marina Lebenson, Anzhela Pikhut
and Yefim Chorny, vocals; a woman, also from Russia, on piano, whose
name I, sadly, cannot remember, the former drummer from Maxwell Street,
whose name also escapes me (I'm sorry); and Eugeny Khazdan, piano; Steve
Ostrow, of our own Yiddishe Cup, played trombone admirably; and Margot
Leverett played soulfully on clarinet.   The Russian woman pianist,
Steve, Margot, and the drummer were called on last minute because the
American embassy refused to issue visas to 5 of the original 10
musicians scheduled to play.  You never would have known it.  They
played as if they had been part of the original group.  It was an
exciting and varied show with musicianship of the highest caliber.
There is so much more to say, but I have not the energy to go on and
need to go to work.  If anyone saw their performance in Detroit last
night or are planning to go to the one in New York, please post some
more details.  I have to say, though, not only were they exquisite
performers, but lovely and generous people.  I hope to be able to go to
the St. Petersburg Klezfest next summer.

Lorele