we're off

Well, after an all-nighter, the Klezmaniacs, Boston's teen klezmer band, and
I will be off on our tour of Poland, Ukraine, and Israel!  (itinerary below)

Before I get off-list for a few weeks, I wanted to invite you all to our
welcome-home concert and dessert reception with our documentary film-maker
Yale Strom-- at Temple Israel, Swampscott, MA, 837 Humphrey St. (call
781-595-6635 for details) on July 23, 2000, at 7:00 pm.

If you have questions, or if you or anyone you know would like to make a
donation to or investment in the documentary, please email me off-line
(cantorkenr (at) aol(dot)com) or call Marion Kaplan at 781-593-6438 (or Beth
Hoffman
at the temple number above).

Be well, everyone, and look forward to talking to you when we return!

    Ken (Cantor Ken Richmond)

Klezmaniacs Peace Tour 2000 Itinerary (documentary to be produced/directed by
film-maker Yale Strom)

Tuesday, June 27 Fly from Boston to Warsaw
    Lufthansa Flight LH 432 leaves Boston at 4:55 pm (we should get to the
airport by 2:00pm and leave Swampscott by 1:00pm)
        Flight stops in Frankfurt at 5:45 the next morning
        Lufthansa Flight LH 3254 leaves Frankfurt at 7:20 a.m. and arrives in
Warsaw at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, June 28

Wednesday, June 28
    Morning:  9:00 a.m. Arrive in Warsaw
    Afternoon:  Settle into the Hotel Forum of Warsaw (the nights of June 28
and 29) Contact:  Karina at Joint Distribution Committee:
joint (at) medianet(dot)com(dot)pl
 NOWGRODZKA STREET 24 / 26
 phone +48 - 22 - 621 02 71, fax + 48 - 22 - 625 04 76

    Night:  Performance and meeting with Polish Family Summer Camp
        in Srodborow (on the outskirts of Warsaw)
        Concert and discussions (what it is like to be Jewish in Poland
today, what brought them to live there, how relations are with nonJews these
days, what Jewish life is like for us in the U.S....)

Thursday, June 29
    Day:  Tour of Warsaw, including the Warsaw Ghetto
    Night:  Performance at the Nozyk Synagogue (the main synagogue) of Warsaw
for the Jewish and nonJewish community

Friday, June 30
    Morning:  bus to Treblinka (1 hour)
        Musical presentation
    Afternoon:  Bus ride (5 hours) to Krakow (possible coordination with
Youth-to-Israel trip)
    Check into the Hotel Forum of Krakow (nights of June 30- July 8)
 KONOPNICKIEJ street 28
 phone + 48 - 12 - 261 92 12, fax: + 48 - 12 - 269 00 80

Friday, June 30- Saturday July 1: Shabbat with the Jewish community of Krakow
Saturday, July 1 dinner with Youth-to-Israel contigent from North Shore of
Boston

Sunday July 2- Sunday July 9:
    The Jewish Cultural Festival in Krakow:  attend performances each night
and workshops during the day except where we have other events scheduled

Sunday, July 2:  Tour Krakow.  Visit the ?tree? of Boston-area Holocaust
survivor Sonia Weitz-- it was planted by her father on the day she was born
and it managed to survive the horrors of war.  One of the teenagers will read
her poem about the tree there in the courtyard.  Visit the Krakow Ghetto,
Schindler?s Factory...
    7:00 Attend Cantorial concert (Temple Synagogue, ul. Miodowa 24)

Monday, July 3:
    10:00 am Klezmer Workshop with Michael Alpert and ?Last Klezmer? Leopold
Kozlowski of documentary fame
    Private Meeting with Leopold Kozlowski and other Polish klezmer musicians
    9:00pm Attend Concert Uri Caine/Don Byron

Tuesday, July 4:
    10:00 am Klezmer Workshop with Michael Alpert and ?Last Klezmer? Leopold
Kozlowski of documentary fame
    2:00 Lecture:  Hassidic Singing
    Evening:  Perform at the Hotel Klezmer
    9:00pm Attend Concert Brave Old World

Wednesday, July 5:  Auschwitz-Birkenau (and related discussions)

Thursday, July 6:  Day:  Visit Bedzin, the birthtown of Shira Shazeer?s
grandmother, Holocaust survivor Alta Frohman AND concert in GLIWICE--
Interfaith concerts and Dialogue with nonJewish teens
    Possible overnight in Gliwice OR
    10:00 Concert:  Leopold Kozlowski and Friends

Friday, July 7:  Bielsko Biala:  Interfaith concert and Dialogue with
nonJewish teens
Friday evening, July 7/Saturday, July 8:  Shabbat (and related activities)

Saturday, July 8, Night:  Grand finale concert for the Jewish Cultural
Festival (I?m still holding out hope for talking our way into the concert--
but otherwise, we?ll just listen enthusiastically)

Sunday, July 9
    Bus to Lodz (about 4 hours)
    Afternoon:  Performance at the Jewish Center of Lodz
    Bus to Warsaw (about 1 hr)
        Check into the Hotel Forum of Warsaw
    Night:  Performance at Ronald Lauder Foundation?s Jewish summer camp (agai
n, in Srodborow, on the outskirts of Warsaw)

Monday, July 10 fly to Kiev, Ukraine
    8:00 a.m. Arrive at Warsaw Airport
    Fly Air Ukraine flight 6U 124 at 10:50 am, arriving in Kiev at 1:30 pm.
    We will be picked up at the airport by a bus with our bus-driver, our
guide/translator, and our security guard-- we will arrive in Dnepropetrovsk
on Monday night in time to eat dinner, check into our hotel, and go to bed.

Tuesday, July 11 and Wednesday, July 12
    A couple of days with the revived Jewish community of Boston's sister
city,
        led by the Chief Rabbi, Shmuel Kaminezki
    Contact:  Yan Sidlowski      yansid (at) a-teleport(dot)com
    Performance at JCC and one or two other venues w/ choirs

Thursday, July 13
    Morning:  Bus (with our busdriver, security guard, etc.) to Kiev
    Dinner and Performance at Kiev Hillel, Salomone University (still in
works)
    10:00 p.m., Bus to airport

Friday, July 14
    1:10 El Al flight LY 652, fly from Kiev, arrive in Tel Aviv, 4:35 a.m.
    Get picked up by our bus
    Arrive at Kibbutz Mizra, Galilee by 7:00 am 011-972-6-6429-015 (H)
        011-972-6429-146 (W):  contact:  Cheebee Harel
    Day trip to Haifa
    Night:  Dinner and performance at Kibbutz Mizra

Saturday, July 15
    Interfaith program with Arab Israeli teenagers from Nazareth (?)

Sunday, July 16
    Bus to Tsfat (Safed), Israel?s mystical capital.  Free room and board.
    Contact:  Dafna:  Dafna (at) tevet-pro(dot)co(dot)il
    Night:  Performance at the Opening Night of Israel?s Klezmer Festival.

Monday, July 17
    Bus to Jerusalem:  Western Wall, etc.
    Lunch and performance at Schechter Institute, noon-2pm, arrive 11ish
    Tour and musical presentation at Yad Vashem (?)
    Possible musical program for Bronfman Fellows, then Ben-Yehuda St.

Tuesday, July 18
    2:00 a.m. Bus to airport
    5:30 a.m. Fly Lufthansa flight LH 691, arrive Frankfurt, 9:00 a.m.
    10:45 a.m. Fly Lufthansa flight LH 422 from Frankfurt to Boston
    12:35 p.m. (Shortly after NOON) ARRIVE IN BOSTON

Sunday, July 23:  post-tour concert, Swampscott, 7pm and dessert reception
with documentary film-maker Yale Strom