Re: dyngus /was--- Jankowski Tsimbls/

Dyngus Day is the Monday after Easter Sunday.  It is real big in the Buffalo
Polish community and possibly in Chicago.  It is a day of festivity and
romance. The Buffalo Chopin Society has the most publicized bash.  The
tradition is for the boys to tap the girls with pussywillows to get their
attention to dance.  Crazy things like shooting the girls with water pistols
has become part of the tradition.  Lots of food, drink, music and dancing.

An aside, one of my favorite local bands, Pic-A-Polka, is a fixture at these
festivities.  Their knowledge of traditional Polish folk music is unmatched
in this region.  Our band, The Klezbeets, had the fortune to share an event
with them last year at a Polish/Jewish community gathering and we learned a
lot from each other, certainly musically.  They didn't know much about our
music, etc.  I think they got the biggest kick out of seeing our female
percussionist.  They had assumed she would be the vocalist.  Anyway, I don't
know if there is much interaction between Poles and Jews in other
communities.  Maybe this will be the begining of something very positive.
Music can build these bridges.

AS