Re: Gypsies

In a message dated 6/20/00 11:25:49 AM, rlcm17 (at) hotmail(dot)com writes:

<< In that case, how come we have the cultural image of the "wandering
Gypsy"?
Am curious -- Robert Cohen

I don't know about Eastern Europe, but I was living in France as recently as
1973 and there were plenty of wandering Gypsies there, then. I don't know how
many were musicians but certainly some were. The routine was that the
musicians (adults) would play outdoors, usually by an outdoor cafe or
restaurant. The kids would go around to the tables and ask for $. The rumor
was that if you got too enthralled with the music, the kids would pick your
pocket.

Some of the Gypsies then were in horse drawn caravans, but usually they drove
a particular Citroen vehicle which was speciallly designed (and named, I
think) for them.
It was common to see a vacant field with a sign "No Gypsies," meaning they
cannot park or camp there.

About Gypsies and Jewish music, I only know that there are some Gypsies here
in Chicago who have a tradition of having Jewish music at their weddings.
They say their families come from New York ( I believe that's somewhere on
the East Coast). I remember that they mentioned one of the famous
clarinetists there who used to play  their family's weddings. I think it was
Brandwein, but maybe it was Tarras.

Joshua Huppert