Re: Lebedik un Freylekh

These lyrics posted by Abbi Wood are from Zelig Barditchever's song
"Melukhe Melikhe". Listen to Ben Bonus' version! - Itzik

Do you mean the song whose chorus goes like this:

>Hey, lebedik, freylakh!
>lebedik, freylakh!
>Vas iz da der khidush?
>Melacheh, meluche,
>Zingt b'menuche,
>A lidele a yidish.
>
>Sorry about the transliteration - I'm copying it from the inlay of
>'Chava zingt Yidish' whilst eating lunch. (This is an Israeli CD - I'm not
>sure if it's on any of Chava Alberstein's other CDs.) If it's the right
>song, let me know and I'll send you the rest of the text.
>
>Abbi Wood
>
>On Mon, 22 May 2000 Mattflight (at) aol(dot)com wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone on the list happens to know the words to
>>Lebedik un
>> Freylekh.
>>
>> a dank
>>
>> Matt Temkin
>> Mattflight (at) aol(dot)com

Dr. Itzik Nakhmen Gottesman
Assistant Professor, Yiddish Language and Culture
Department of Germanic Studies
University of Texas at Austin
EPS 3.102
Austin, TX 78704-1190