[no subject]

>A Jewish Canadian;
>a Canadian being more or less  an American with a decent
>health plan;  but without a gun in the house.

Oi, Wolf!  (As opposed to "Oy, Wolf!)  As an American who became a Canadian
(and is both, in addition to being Jewish) I object (and know you know better).
The whole thing about being Canadian is that one is not American!  (And our
health system isn't in such great shape these days.)

(Also, I learned that Oi business by associating with all the Brits up here.)

Re: Simon's posting on Chess.  After I had a piece of fiction published in
Commentary in the late 1980s (I know, a weird place for a crypto-liberal;
but it still had a good reputation as a publisher of fiction: published
Cynthia Ozick, e.g., to whom I dedicated my story), I sent them a
non-fiction essay about the uneasy relationship between Jews and blacks in
jazz.  It was called "The Other Outsiders" and attempted to argue that Jews
were prominent in entertainment in music for many of the same reasons as
blacks, and that black anti-semitism was largely a desire to have somebody
else on the bottom.  They sent it back pronto, clearly nervous about
touching the subject.  I'll try to find it and maybe post it if anyone is
interested.  I'm sure it was incredibly insightful, bold,... or at least it
was more intelligently argued than I've just managed.

Jeff M.
Toronto