Re: Cataloguing: Transliterating Hebrew

Bob:

There is a Library of Congress standardized romanization scheme for both
Yiddish and Hebrew. We need it to catalog materials in software
programs--most of which don't carry Hebrew fonts. I believe the Yiddish  is
slightly different from YIVO's and the Hebrew--one does need to know Hebrew
grammar to use it.

The edition I have before me is entitled:
HEBRAICA CATALOGING: A Guide to ALA/LC Romanization and Descriptive
Cataloging. Prepared by Paul Maher. Washington, D.C.: Cataloging
Distribution Service, 1987.

You may order it from the Cataloging Distribution Service, Customer
Services Section, Library of Congress, Washington DC 20541 (202) 287-6100.
(Sorry, don't have their URL.).

Or just come down and take a look at it here.

Best wishes,

Dr. Eliott Kahn
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary
3080 Broadway
New York, NY 10027