Re: Bracha Zefira

Hi, Noa. This is great. Comments interspersed.

Best,

Joel

At 03:50 PM 5/22/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Joel
>
>IMI in Israel have all the recordings of Bracha Zefira, but, I believe
>they have for years now stoped producing the CDs or tapes.

I'm unaware of any CD and would love to know more.

>If they still have the originals, I may be able to convince them to make
>one off copies for me. I will try. They list three recordings -  one with
>Orchestra and small ensembles, performing Partos, Lavry, Boskovich and Ben
>Haim.

If this is the re-release cassette, "Shirei HaZahav Shel Bracha Zefira", I
would dearly like to know when the originals were released, and any
available discographic information.

>Second with Nahum Nardi on piano performing Israeli songs,

Same request for this, which I take to be "Meaz v'ad olam, Bracha Zefirah
v'Nahum Nardi, hashirim shel hagedolim b'zemer ha'ivri, 1937-1950.

>and the third recording songs by her performing with an ensemble. Her
>songs (which were only melodies) were arrnaged on this recording by
>Lakner, Maayani, Avni, Paul Ben Haim, and Haim Alexander. It looks like
>she is not singing on it but H. Ben Haim, soprano is the singer.

Also unfamiliar to me, and I would like to know more.

>Incidentally, as a soprano myself, I have performed two years ago in
>London with an Israeli Dancer, Nima Jacoby (the grand daughter of the
>composer Jacoby) a programme dedicated to Bracha Zefira. Nima visited
>Bracha Zefira?s archive, which contains all the music she collected
>herself, and we performed (me singing, Nima dancing) music from that
>archive. The Library contains hundreds and hundreds of songs written and
>arranged for her, by all the Israeli composers at the time, who all
>admired her voice and personality, together with some of her own songs.
>There was also a book published about her life I believe, with music, and
>a documentary which is available on Video (for sale??? I will need to find
>out) produced by the Israeli TV ­ very interesting indeed.
>
>I found her most fascinating and will try to find out if the recordings
>are available.
>
>I will let you know soon.
>
>Yours
>
>Noa