Re: Ernst Dohnanyi

The truth in such matters is hard to tell, and may ultimately be
unascertainable.  But, fwiw, and hoping it's helpful:

from BAKER'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF MUSICIANS, 7th ed. (ed. by the
redoubtable Nicolas Slonimsky):

one of [D's sons] "was executed for his role in the abortive [alas--rlc]
attempt on Hitler's [y"s] life.

"At the war's end rumors were rife that D used his influence with the Nazi
overlords in Budapest to undermine the position of Bartok and other
liberals, and that he acquiesced in anti-Semitic measures.  But in 1945 the
American occupation authorities exonerated him of all blame; even some
prominent Jewish-Hungarian musicians testified in his favor."

and from NEW GROVE (1980):

>From 1939, much of [D's] time was devoted to the fight against growing Nazi
influences [?--not sure of that word from my notes].  By 1941, he had
resigned his directorial post at the Budapest Academy rather than follow
[i.e., implement, apparently] the anti-Jewish legislation.  In his
orchestra, he succeeded in keeping on all Jewish members until two months
after the German occupation of Hungary, when he disbanded the ensemble....

D was criticized either from the Left or from the Right for most of his
deeds and from his student days on....

The accusations leveled against him always took the form of rumors.  This
and the magnitude of the so-called charges (never substantiated) made it
impossible for D to defend himself.

FWIW--But as my rebbe used to say, "Who knows?"

--rlc