Re: photo of musicians

Itzik Gottesman <itzik (at) mail(dot)utexas(dot)edu> wrote:

> I received a brochure from the Vilnius Progam in Yiddish, summer 2000, and
> it includes a wonderful photo of two elderly jews  with their instruments
> facing the camera. One is an organ grinder,(Im pretty sure),  the other
> holds  a large tambourine with bells attached behind it and hits the top
> with a stick.Pardon my ignorance, I know there is a word for this type of
> instrument and have seen balkan music bands play it.

That would be a _beben_ (the first 'e' has a little tail) in Polish;
_buben_ in Russian, if I'm not mistaken. It was
common to older ensembles in Poland, Lithuania, Russia, Ukraine, and
used by klezmorim in the 19th century. Would that also be the word in
Yiddish (i.e., traditional Yiddish, not a word made up by a
lexicographer deriving the term, say, from Western European art
tradition)?

Paul Gifford