Re: Gebirtig recordings

Wolf Krakowski sings Gebirtig's "Blayb Gezunt Mir, Kroke"
("Farewell, My Krakow") on his "Transmigrations" CD.

Only the text of this song survived WWII; it was set
to music by German singer-guitarist Manfred Lemm.

"...someone exploring fusion from the inside looking out is
Massachusetts performer Wolf Krakowski, whose 1996 CD
"Transmigrations" blends Yiddish song backed by a languorous
Leonard Cohen-style rock accompaniment.  On the album, whose
title derives from the Y.L. Peretz  story "A gilgul fun a nign"
(A Transmigration of a Melody), Krakowski, one of the few children
of Holocaust survivors on the Yiddish music scene, uses his command
of the language and  culture to update Peretz's story about how
music changes in relation to its environment".

--Henry Sapoznik:  Klezmer!  Jewish Music from Old World to Our World
(Schirmir Books, 1999)

Fraidy Katz

www.kamea.com