Re: Private Specialized Recordings Collections

Hi Bob:

I got a chuckle out of seeing my name with the word "oddball' next to it.

While I am certainly interested in acquiring "oddball" Jewish music
recordings and do
enjoy snooping around for old vinyl and 78's on my travels, my Jewish
music
collection is predominantly Yiddish --folk, theatre and pop, with some
classic klezmer
and modern klezmer-derived music, (many acquired through trading with
other musicians
on this list who have produced their own CDs and tapes).

I also have many old cantorial (vinyl and 78s) recordings by the greats
--
Sirota, Pinchik, Rosenblatt, Waldman, Oysher etc.
and quite a few old (many are quite worn, unfortunately) 78s (green label

Among my prize possessions are the self-released (12 and 10-inch) 78 rpm
recordings by
Vilna Trouper, Noyekh Nakhbush from c.1950.

German Yiddish singer Karsten Troyke  has a lot of cool old pre-War
Yiddish records handed down from
his father that made my eyes pop out of my head when I saw them in
Berlin, especially the inter-War recordings of the late Yiddish superstar
Benzion Witler.

Anybody heard of the rumored Elvis version of "Sheyn Vi Di Levone",
supposedly locked in the vaults of RCA?

Wolf

PS -- Bob --   I'll be at TONIC Sunday (1:30 and 3 PM) for Klezical
Tradition shows.