Re: help for a friend

Dear Basya,

In a message dated 4/2/00 1:43:09 PM, basya (at) ultinet(dot)net writes:

>A friend of mine called me from Germany looking for a yiddish song called
>"sprent, breederle sprent."  If anyone knows it and how to get it please
>write me back.
>
>basya

As a number of people have noted, you're looking for a song variously
entitled "Es Brent," "S'Brent," (both meaning "it burns") and even "Dos Stetl
Brent" ("the little town burns") by the Polish poet and composer Mordechai
Gebirtig (1887-1942). Any Yiddish collection that includes songs from the
Holocaust will have it. My favorite (with a wonderful introduction) is in
_Yes, We Sang: Songs of the Ghettos and the Concentration Camps_ by Shoshana
Kalisch (Harper and Row, 1985). I would imagine that Simon at Hatikvah music
will have it, or Tara publications. Good luck.

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve Barnett
Composer/Arranger/Producer