Re: stereotypical Jews in music

I wonder if Henry Sapoznik would consider Cherniavsky's Yiddish-American
Jazz Band as the quintessential example of "Jewish performers taking on the
stereotypical role" (though demeaningly or not is another question)--they
dressed like Hassidim, and even (as Henry recounts in his discussion on
pages 110-112 of his book) performed in front of a curtain "painted with
huge grotesque caricatures of klezmorim."