From:  Helen Winkler [SMTP:winklerh (at) hotmail(dot)com]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 22, 2000 2:14 PM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:  Re: Fwd: status of musicians

Here is the information about the book:
KLezmorim
Jewish Folk Musicians
A Study in Cultural History
by Isaac Rivkind,
New York 1960
Futuro Press, Inc.
476 Broadway, New York 13, NY

Contents:
Introduction
A)      Clowns and Klezmers
B)      Klezmorim in the Wedding
C)      Conductor of Dancing
D)      Numbers of Klezmer
E)      Klezmers in Pictures and Art
F)      Comments on Klezmer

The book is in Hebrew.  It was sent to me by Dick Crum, a noted researcher
and teacher of Balkan dance.  He happened to surf onto my Yiddish dance
page
and has for years been collecting resources about Jewish dance.  He had
this
book which he's always wanted to have translated.  So I've been chasing all
Hebrew speakers in town and bit by bit we are translating it.
Actually we didn't even know the name of the book since it was a ratty old
photocopy with the cover missing.  So I sent a copy to Joshua Horowitz who
was able to identify it as Rivkind's.

Helen