Re: status of musicians

The rabbinical responsa in the Klezmorim book got my attentention because in
Feldman's article on the bulgar Feldman says that "[klezmer music] was never
supported by Jewish cultural, educational or religius institutions;"  This
lack of support may have lead to the decline of klezmer after wwII according
to the article.  I thought it was interesting to read that the rabbinical
responsa not only did not support the musicians but clearly stated that
playing the music was lowering yourself although  it was o.k. to play music
if you were poor and needed the money to live.
I'm eagerly awaiting the translation of the remaining chapters to see what
else is in there.
Helen