Re: More shameless self-promotion

UPCOMING PUBLIC PERFORMANCES OF THE KLEZICAL TRADITION
http://members.aol.com/klezical/tradition.html

April 8, 8:00 pm at Temple Beth Sholom, New Haven, CT.   For tickets and info,
call the synagogue office at 203-288-7748.

April 9, "Tonic" ,  the old Kedem Wine cellar, now the "Klezmer Sundays in NY"
venue.  107 Norfolk St. between Delancey and Rivington on the Lower East Side.
Two sets: 1:30 and 3:00.  Phone contact for tickets: 212-358-7501. Limited
space, so call early for tickets. Admission is $10, or $15 for both sets.

Some reviews of "Family Portrait," the debut CD of The Klezical Tradition

Ari Davidow, Ari?s Klezmer Shack (Internet)

 Periodically I decide that I don?t want to deal with any more traditional
klezmer albums.  The interesting material is on the fringes, I opine.  And then
I hear something as deep and grounded as this particular platter and I change
my mind.  This is the best traditional American Klezmer album that I have heard
since I don?t remember when.  It is alive.  It is exciting.

 . . . This is the sort of classically-informed klez that Itzhak Perlman will
play when he learns klezmer.  And the audience will dance. . . . [It] reminds
us of how alive and sexy Jewish music, when played well, really is.

Seth Rogovoy, Moment, ?Top Ten Klezmer Releases?August, 1999.

An effortless authenticity pervades the debut recording of this New
England-based acoustic quartet, which takes listeners on a spirited, witty
journey through New World Yiddishkeit, including early-20th-century
instrumental music and Yiddish theater songs.  Vocalist Fraidy Katz sounds like
she just walked off a Second Avenue stage.

Ed Silverman, Dirty Linen , #85, December,1999-January, 2000

. . . unlike other groups, this quartet is much more than klezmer.  There?s
also a surprising and intelligent mix of traditional ballads and folk songs . .
.  a striking contrast to some of the over-the-top, experimental klezmer acts
that have come to represent the notion of Jewish music today.  Preserving the
past for the future. . . an accomplishment that?s worth hearing.

Murry Sidlin, Resident Conductor, The Oregon Symphony

. . . not only rich with the great and true heritage of Klezmer music, but even
richer in the spirit and accomplishment of Klezmer  artistry.  This band . .
.makes you laugh and cry all within the same musical phrase.  Each haunting
nuance wails, pleads, and vivdly recalls the music of our parents and
grandparents with bright Yiddish humor and dark Yiddish history.  . . .These
are adventurous, virtuosic, sensitive, and schooled Klezmer  musicians who make
their music joyously dance alive and make you want to join in that dance.

George Robinson, The  Jewish Week  (New York Best of 1999)

 An unalloyed delight, from the old family photos in the booklet to the lively
interpretations of old chestnuts. . .  Difficult to single out any one
contribution on a record as good as this, but Adrianne Greenbaum?s rollicking
piccolo is a pungent and unexpected reminder of how many of the old klezmorim
learned their trade in East European military bands.  A set that managed to be
traditional and fresh at the same time.  *****

Hankus Netsky, Director, Klezmer Conservatory Band

A fresh and innovative approach to our eastern European musical heritage -- and
a family connection that adds just the right touch of heymishkeit !