_________________
From: "Judith R. Cohen" <judithc (at) YorkU(dot)CA>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Subject:
Morenica

I don't know the actual origins of the song, but the Parvarim translated
it, along with others, I believe, from Judeo-Spanish to Hebrew, It's
been recorded since the early 20th century from among Sephardim in
Salonica and is probably from a Greek song, with the expression
"mavramatia mou" (blue eyes) in most Judeo-Spanish versions. The
documentary versions are not as even and regular as the "shekhakhoret"
arrangement. But other people probably know more. Judith