Re: defining klezmer

Josh Huppert wrote:
>If Yiddish is a distinct and legitimate language, then we should define the
>Yiddish word "klezmer" according to its meaning in Yiddish.

Wouldn?t it then be better to refer to the music as "klezmer music" rather
than simply "klezmer", considering the Yiddish meaning of the term?
Or is there even a Yiddish word to describe the music? Since we call
cantorial singing "khazones" and not "khazan", and the singing/rhyming of the
badkhen "badkhones" and not "badkhen", it seems strange to name the
instrumental music just "klezmer", or even "klez"...
I can see the cultural and social value in establishing a term similar to
"Jazz" or "Bluegrass", which nobody calls "Jazz music" etc. anymore.
But linguistically, and especially if we want to give proper attention to its
Yiddish roots, "klez", and even "klezmer", still sound somewhat odd to my
European ears...

Christian