Re: defining klezmer

In a message dated 2/20/00 10:45:47 AM, ari (at) ivritype(dot)com writes:

<< And it is certainly more useful more often to explain klezmer without
emphasizing the word's linguistic roots. I mean, how many people can recite
the linguistic roots of "Jazz" or "pop" (beyond being short for "popular,"
which is derived from what?).

You are making my point here better than I did. Maybe I should have asked you
to say it for me in the first place.

I think I heard somewhere that "jazz" started out as a sexually explicit
term--as did "rock and roll." I never hear people defining those musical
terms by stating their original meanings, though, even though they presumably
came from English, and not so long ago.

Josh