sherele

Just following up on our discussion re:  the sherele dance.  I just received
an article by Judith Brin Ingber called Shorashim The Roots of Israeli Folk
Dance, Autumn 1974, Dance Perspectives.  Gurit Kadman who created the
Israeli version of Sherele is quoted in the article.  She says" [they
performed] a sherele that I which I arranged for them from shereles I had
learned from old Russian immigrants."  So, the term sherele [in the dance
sense] must have been used by Russian immigrants in Israel before the
Israeli Sherele was arranged by Kadman in the 1940's.
Sincerely,
Helen