RE: musical history of klezmer forms

Please tell us more about your festival.

Reyzl

----------
From:  jonathan walton [SMTP:jaw42 (at) hotmail(dot)com]
Sent:  Monday, February 14, 2000 5:25 PM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:  musical history of klezmer forms

Hi there,

I'm in London, helping to organise a Jewish music festival this summer and
I'd appreciate some guidance from knowledgeable fans to help me where my
netsearches have failed: to try to work out the relationship between Jewish
music and 'host' music culture. I know there are some purists who maintain
there is no pure Jewish music, others who claim that an interpretation of,
say, a polka by a Jewish or Gypsy fiddler last century would have been by
default substantially different to one played by a conservatory educated
establishment musician, therefore Jewish music is to a certain extent
anything played by a Jew.
My exact question relates to the nature of the relationship between
traditional Jewish forms like the doina, bulgar, freylakh, etc and the
Central/East European dances (polka, csardas, tango) alongside which they
evolved. Any ideas of where to look for help?

Thanks v much,
yours,
Jonathan Walton.