Re: new cd notes, arabic links

Ernie Gruner / Cathy Dowden <erniegru (at) mira(dot)net> wrote:

> After 3 Glaces (freylach in Mart Heijmanns first klezmer tune compilation)
> Terk in America / Uskadar - have seen a fair bit but any extra information
> on JEWISH/TURKISH/ARABIC/GREEK music links would be appreciated - I heard a
> suggestion that Moldovia had Greek administrators at one stage. (Ottoman
> empire?)

You might read any book on the history of Romania for the system of
government of Moldavia and Wallachia in the 17th, 18th and early 19th
centuries. Ottoman rule was indirect; Greek families ran the country,
but owed allegiance to the Sultan. In 1781, Franz Joseph Sulzer
described the Turkish music at the courts of the hospodars.
Presumably as in Turkey, Sephardic Jews (and other non-Muslims, as
well as Gypsies) were some of the musicians. Maybe there are specific
examples of Ashkenazic musicians performing at these Greek courts,
but as there still was a lot of migration from Galicia into Moldavia
in the 18th and 19th centuries (see Encyclopedia Judaica, for
example), one would suspect little Ottoman influence on Jewish music
then. Perhaps the Greek connection can be explained by the existence
of Greek communities in Moldavia. They were merchants and maybe
Jewish musicians played at their weddings. The Gypsy lautari, who
used some of the old instruments of 18th century Turkish music, like
the muscal (miskal) (panpipes), might have been more prone to know
such music, it seems to me, but I can't see any particular
relationships or common tunes with Greek music, at least with
contemporary muzica lautareasca---actually I hear more similarity
with older urban Serbian or Bosnian music (such as triple-time
sevdalinki and cinteci de dragoste). But there were substantial Greek
communities until recently in Romania, so maybe some of the Greek
tunes in klezmer music can be explained that way. The other influence
could have been klezmorim who settled in Constantinople and Smyrna
following pogroms in the latter 19th century. But, hey, this is all
speculation, anyway, right?

Paul Gifford