Re: From 'frummie' back to Shulamis

OK, here's the list I promised you of songs that were listed on the back
of some sheet music from Shulamith published in piano arrangement by the
Hebrew Publishing Company, copyrighted in 1898.  Sorry it didn't list the
Yiddish, only the English.

Vol  #
 1     1    Eli Regel March
 2     2    The Blessing
 2     3    Wandering in the Desert
 3     4    At the Well
 3     5    Raisins and Almonds
 4     6    Absalom at the Well
 5     7    Duett (sic), Shulamith and Absalom
 5     8    The Oath
 5     9    The Sheperd (sic) Choir
 6    10    The Oriental Dance
 6    11    Come to Me
 6    12    Zingetang Solo
 7    13    Sabbath Yom Tow and Rosh Chodesch
 7    14    The Bridegroom Song
 8    15    Drawing For Shulamith's Hand
 8    16    The Cat and The Well
 9    17    Shulamith Demented (which is the piece on the back of which I
found this list)
 9    18    Duett - Shulamith and Monoach
10   19    The Misfortune
10   20    Shepherds Song
11   21    Monoachs Prayer
11   22    David King of Israel
11   23    Grand Finale in Beth Hamikdosh

Other operas listed on the back are:

by Golfaden

Bar Kochba
The Jewish King Lear
Konig (o with an umlaut) Ahasveros
Melitz Yosher
Di Zauberin
Akeidas Yitzchok
Gehenim and Ganeiden
Choson Kale

by S. Mogulesco

Homon der Zweiter

by Louis Friedsell

Dos Beigele

Did I tell anyone anything new or just spend an inordinate amount of time
typing?  ;-)

Lorele

Agustin(dot)Fernandez (at) newcastle(dot)ac(dot)uk wrote:

> > (How did we get involved in Yiddish
> > linguistics on a Jewish music list?
> > Mendele is usually where such discussions
> > take place.)
> >
> > Lee Friedman
>
> Yeah, let's get back to music.
>
> Has Robert Wiener had a full  answer to his question on Shulamis
> yet? I certainly don't have a full answer, but Mark Slobin mentions
> another song in page 190 of Tenement Songs: the Popular Music of the
> Jewish Immigrants (University of Illinois Press, 1982).
>
> This song, Slobin informs us, is entitled 'Ot der brunen, ot der'. He
> goes on to show similarities between this tune and 'Ah. fors'e lui'
> from Verdi's  La traviata. However, the tune he quotes next to
> the Verdi is confusingly titled 'The Oath' and not 'The Well' or
> anything that may resemble what we are told the Yiddish title means.
> I leave those who know Yiddish, or the plot of Shulamis, or both, to
> clarify this inconsistency.
>
> Agustín
>
> ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->