Re: pidyon haben/abortion

----- Original Message -----
From: Jerzy Matysiakiewicz <jerzym (at) dom(dot)zabrze(dot)pl>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2000 8:06 AM
Subject: Odp: pidyon haben/abortion

> Rachel wrote:
> |
> | Hey, remember I'm a frummie
>
> Once again forgive my goyish ignorance, but I wanna
> know more&more bout your nation, culture and religion.
> What does "frummie" means ??
>

> Jerzy

The word "frummie" is an example of the tendency of Yiddish to change by
picking up words and word-endings from the languages around it.  I don't
know the origin of the Yiddish root "frum", but it means observent of
religious rules.  An apparent Americanization is to add an informal ending
to make "frummie", meaning one who is observent.  (American English has been
enriched by a number of words from Yiddish.)

My wife has relatives in Brazil; the older generation speak Yiddish with
many Portuguese words, making comunication a bit difficult.  Fortunately,
the younger ones speak excellent English.