RE: Shmuel Lehman

YUP, YUP.  And how about Lehman's badkhan songs.   (Of course the best
versions would have to be selected among the many he offers, not such an
easy task.)

I just heard that Green Linnett/Xenophile is going out of business.  They
produced Chava Alberstein/The Klezmatics record The Well.   What will
happen to distributions of records like that?   The German company which
produced Adrienne Cooper's last record also went belly-up about two years
ago.   I constantly hear complaints about record companies or record
distributors, including from the biggest names in the klezmer scene.  I saw
Ari's list of current record labels on his web site, but does anyone have
really good stories to tell about their tried-and-true record company?   Or
is everyone going for independent, self-distribution?   My husband Josh
Waletzky should have a record master finished by the end of next month and
will have to make some important decisions soon.

Shira,

Lehman's collection is in a very, very rare Yiddish book called "Bay Undz
Yidn" by Udovin (forgot Yudovin's first name) published in 1938, which is
in the YIVO library.  Because the paper is so cheap and brittle, it is not
easy to copy or scan it.   (The book is an extraordinary treasure that by
now should be touched only with gloves.)

Reyzl