RE: St. Petersburg Folk Music Society

Paul Eisenstein Baker's e-mail is: eisenbak (at) basil(dot)stthom(dot)edu

Isabelle

From:   INTERNET:jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org, INTERNET:jewish-music (at)
shamash(dot)org
To:     World music from a Jewish slant, INTERNET:jewish-music (at)
shamash(dot)org

Date:   1/6/00 11:00 AM

RE:     RE: St. Petersburg Folk Music Society

Joel:

I reply to the List to provide additional info.

The JTS Library does not have Saminsky's "Shluf mein Suhn" (St. Pete. #66)
for solo voice and string quartet. Paula Eisenstein-Baker of Houston, Tx.
has done much excellent research on St. Pete cellist and composer L.
Zeitlin, and may have a better idea where the Saminsky score might be. (See
her article in the YIVO Annual vol. 23. I Can't find her e-mail. She once
was a member of this list, however).

The Rosowsky Collection here at the JTS Library has all of Rosowsky's music
published by the Society. That includes his chamber works. Please contact
me off-list, if you would like a copy of the Inventory.

NB: I had the great pleasure of finding among Solomon Rosowsky's papers the
unpublished manuscripts of his father Baruch Leib Rosowsky. Baruch Leib was
Oberkantor at the Great Synagogue in Riga, Latvia from 1871 until his death
in 1919. He was the first Jewish student enrolled at the St. Petersburg
Conservatory (1867-1870) and then studied with Cantors Salomon Sulzer in
Vienna and Hirsch Weintraub at Koenigsberg.

Eliott Kahn, D.M.A.
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America
3080 Broadway
New York, NY 10027

Sender: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org