Re: misirlou (steps)

Re: the steps.
According to
http://www.mich.com/~tchristy/dance/thedances.html
The Hellenic dance page,
the steps from miserlou are actually an adaptation of a syrtos from Crete.
A Greek group in Pittsburgh it says, were supposed to perform the dance and
the musicians involved didn't know the melody so chose the miserlou tune.
The other figures to the dance were later added in as part of the
international folk dance movement and are based on other Greek dance steps.

The Tsamiko music that I know reminds me of the klezmer limping or slow hora
in rhythm and even the steps are similar.

Helen