Re: Fw: Yiddish Songs

Bob:
Just started reading it... but the new "Klezmer" book by Henry Sapoznik
gives a very nice synopsis about the start of Yiddish musical theater as
part of a greater picture in of Jewish music in NY,  and discusses some of
the major players on the scene. Henry also provides footnotes so any
particular point can be followed up.

Also, there are a couple of chapters on Yiddish theater in a book called
"Politics of Yiddish" . A few chapters in this book discuss the various
types of Yiddish theater in NY with and without music.

There is also an article by Irene Heskes: Music as social history: American
Yiddish theater music, 1882- 1920. in the journal: American music Vol. II,
No. 4 (Winter 1984) pp.73-87.

She also devotes space in "Passport to Jewish Music" to an overview of the
history of Yiddish theater music with biographical information about
Goldfaden and the rest.

For those willing to pursue such things:
Diane Cypkin wrote a dissertation at NYU:
SECOND AVENUE:  THE YIDDISH BROADWAY
Has anyone read this?

If you read German, Isabel Schnabel has written a piece that appears in
Kunst und Religion: "Jiddisches Theater, Musik und Literatur:
Gestern--heute--morgen" (1995)vol. 3, pp. 69-75 which covers Goldfaden,
Gordon, Pinski and Rabinowitz and more. I haven't read this yet, so can't
really recommend it or not, but it must be an overview since it's only a
few pages.

Maybe these can get you started. Best wishes,
Judy

At 09:01 AM 1/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hankus,
>
>I was going to mention "Tenement Songs" (which I do own, along with
>the tape), but it seemed to me that there must be some book out there
>devoted entirely to Yiddish theater music.  Certainly there is plenty
>of material.  And there are many recordings, including one by Jan
>Peerce.
>
>Maybe someone on the list will fill the gap.
>
>Bob

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->