From: Dick Rosenberg <drosenberg (at) dht(dot)com>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 11:40 PM
Subject: Interview with Josh Waletzky

> I'm listening to something that absolutely has to heard my members of
> this list (and anybody else interested in Klezmer/Yiddish music).
>
> Mike Eisenstadt (klezmer313 (at) aol(dot)com), who is a Klezmer bandleader in
> the
Tampa area and also has a weekly radio show called the Sunday Simcha,
recently taped an almost hour long interview with Josh Waletzky while Josh
was in Tampa. The interview was originally broadcast on November 21st, but
still may be heard on the radio station's web site, as they archive 4 weeks
of shows. But the November 21st show is the oldest one on the archive, so if
you are going to listen, do it rather quickly. The site is www.wmnf.org.
>From there click on Shows, then on Sunday, then scroll down to the Sunday
Simcha (12:00), and then November 21st. After the intro there are 2 hour
long Real Audio clips. The interview with
Josh is on the second clip.

 It is a great interview. Josh relates his involvement in the early days of
the Klezmer revival with Kapelye, his hiatus from actively playing Klezmer
music and his recent rediscovery, and also his feelings about the Yiddish
language and its use in his household. (And there may be more. I'm not
finished listening yet!)

 Josh's wife, Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky, has been known to contribute to
this list. A later part of the interview talks about her accomplishments.
Definitely required listening.

 Dick