RE: Shir al etz (fwd)/ofynveg

Correction Trudi,

My husband, Josh Waletzky, did _not_ make the wonderful, 8 minute
claymation film "The Bent Tree".  His old girlfriend Sally Heckle did.   He
always used to love to sing the song, including around NYU Film school
where they both studied, and she decided to make a film about it years
later.  We can definitely say that he inspired it, certainly consulted on
how to make it, sang for it (though I have heard him do better renditions
than the one sings on there), but Sally directed the film and is the one
who personally took 26,000 still photos to make it (or was it 27,000
photos??).  She deserves all the credit and it is a film "by" Sally Heckle.
 "The Bent Tree" was, for many, many years, a regular filler on Cable TV
when they needed 8 minutes between programs.   You can order it from Ergo
Films (call 1-877-JEWISHVIDEO or http://www.jewishvideo.com/) and, I think
that it is also part of the Jewish Heritage Video Collection at any large
local JCC (= can be rented out).   Everyone loves the video and there is an
internal translation of the Yiddish.   I have found that people play it at
family gatherings and even at brises (= Jewish circumcision ceremonies.)

Another BTW, I have been meaning to write about this, but haven't gotten to
it yet.  (still struggling to get back to E-mail.)   There is a TV ad
playing right now that is a non-musical depiction of the song "Afn Veg
Shteyt a Boym".   You see a mother wrapping a child up in many layers of
sweaters, jackets, mittens, hats and scarves for the kid's outdoor playing.
  The scene then switches to the outdoors and you see another kid sitting
on a tree branch calling the bundled one to join him in his play on the
tree.  When the bundled one tries to walk over to the tree, he falls flat
on his back.  All those sweaters and coats were too heavy for him.   I
think that this is some kind of (health) insurance ad, but I don't really
remember whose ad it is.  I watch very little TV, but usually try to catch
some of Martha Stewart's program in the mornings.   So that's when I must
have seen it.  The interesting twist to this ad is that the kid is black
and the story is definitely Jewish.  This is obviously a Jewish ad director
who knows and loves the Manger's song.  But since/because s/he won't get
into the overprotective Jewish mother routine (thank God), s/he went for
the joke in the story and made the kid black.   If you know the song, there
is no doubt this is a de-Judaized "universal" TV version of it.

Manger's is a beautiful, beautiful song.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky