Re: small community events

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:49:34 MDT "Helen Winkler" <winklerh (at) hotmail(dot)com>
writes:
> What has worked and what has not?  How do you market  your events to
draw people to > them? How do you get the community excited and involved?

Helen,

I have been hosting a local, Jewish Music Radio Program for over, four
years and from my experiences; unless you run a local Jewish organization
or have  a large disposable income, your going to have a long difficult
journey. Most of the major Jewish organizations, with localized "fund
raising franchises" are mostly concerned with maintaining status quo, not
offending the local "not too, jewish" crowd, and wondering why most of
the employees are not Jewish.

Seriously, your best bet is to start with something small like,
co-sponsoring a small event at a local book store, community center, or
synagogue; and work up from there.  If your lucky you might find a local
Jewish owned business or private individual; who would be interested in
having their name connected with a Jewish Styled Event. When I get back,
from vacation, I plan to start to listen to my own advise, by doing what
I just suggested to you.

In regards, to the practical matters; look for a local, successful
regular event and volunteer to become part of the organizing committee. I
volunteered for the first  ten years, with the Chatsworth Cranberry
Festival [ http://www.cranfest.org ],  the original group , not the
current group. I left two years, before the indictments were handed-out;
and I never handled money; outside of buying supplies and getting change,
but I regress. Good Luck.

Jacob

Jacob Freedman -- Host/Producer -- 6:00 to 10:00 a.m. E.S.T   | 88.9 FM -
A Voice for         |
Sunday Morning Klezmer & Other Jewish Music:                       |
Burlington County, NJ         |
A Radio & Internet Exploration of  Jewish Music, Art, & Culture |
http://www.bcc.edu/radio |
E-Mail &  Url Addresses -- sundaymorningklezmer (at) usa(dot)net
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/WBZCFMsndymrnngklzmr