small community events

I live in a smaller sized Jewish community(7000-8000 people), geographically
distant from the larger Jewish centres.  I enviously read about all those
fantastic Jewish festivals going on in the world .  I was wondering if there
are others on the list who also live in smaller communities who have been
involved with organizing Jewish cultural events within their own
communities.  What has worked and what has not?  How do you market your
events to draw people to them?  How do you get the community excited and
involved?

Helen Winkler
Helen's Yiddish Dance Page
http://www.angelfire.com/ns/helenwinkler