Re: klez go classical (was: Buena Vista Social Club)

At 11:26 AM 10/9/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Ari,
>
>you wrote:
>
>> Their interest is in building on tradition and in creating something,
>appropriate to a formal concert hall, that is new.
>
>When I read this, it hit the point right on the nose..."APPROPRIATE TO A
>FORMAL CONCERT HALL..."
>
>So the question is, who determines what is appropriate? What financial
>effects are being aimed at and what influence does this have on the
>aesthetics of the music?

Ultimately, that will be determined by the public--what do they
pay to come to hear. I think that is also influenced by how we
present the music, and how we write about it (this is one reason
why I spend as much time as I do trying to ensure that the
KlezmerShack has reviews and articles from as many sources as
possible.)

In mentioning Brave Old World, I was passing on their stated desire
=not= to play the folk world, not to be known for playing weddings,
not to attract klezmer traditionalists, not to play to the klezmer
fusion crowd, but to create music that is appropriate to the formal
classical setting in the light of what they feel compelled to create
as musicians.

Obviously, given their skills, backgrounds, and side projects, this
is not the only music they make as individuals, or the only audience
to which they speak, but that is the focus of one specific band.

On the other hand, as I have written many times to this list, I am
not a fan of Kol Simcha. To complain about a review written that
lauds their music over Budowitz (to provide an excellent contra)
is to despair because someone likes Kenny G's music and takes it
to represent what is good in jazz. Clearly there are many people
who like both (some of my best friends have confessed to liking
Kol Simcha and really enjoying their concerts; fortunately, our
friendships are not based on each other's taste in music :-)).
But that doesn't make what Kol Simcha does exemplary of its
category (classically-oriented klez?????, de-racinated klez?),
or even good (or bad).

Let's not confuse the label with reality, or confuse the silliness
of those who attempt to justify comfortable, inoffensive muzak as
representative of the entire spectrum of reasonable critical opinion.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/