Re: "elevating" folk music

This ideal of "elevating" (Jewish) folk music was, of course, likewise an
impelling idea--maybe _the_ impelling idea, in addition to collecting
same--behind the formation of the Society for Jewish Folk Music in St.
Petersburg in 1908 (inspired by Joel Engel and, to an important extent, by
Rimsky-Korsakov, and including such founding members as Lazare Saminsky,
Solomon Rosowsky, and Ephraim Skliar--who, along with other early members,
studied with R-K.).  An excellent source on them is Albert Weisser's THE
MODERN RENAISSANCE OF JEWISH MUSIC.  BTW, Josh, what is the source for this
musicological application of the first, second, and third worlds
notion--i.e., what book/article/etc.? (By, I assume, Alfons Michael Dauer,
whom you credited; I'm assuming he _applied_ this model to music and was not
the source--which I assume is somewhere in political economy or
whatever--_of_ the model!).  Thanks--Robert Cohen

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->