RE: Kol Isha/Trudi's Yiddish/

Wolf,

What you wrote and what I responded to was:

><take nokh amol>
><dayn velt iz di kleyner velt> <mayn is gants andersh ikh denk, ober zis>

You haven't written <kleynere> anywhere till now.  Please don't start
making up stuff at this point, and if you had, it would be incorrect and
not a matter of transliteration would have nothing to do with it.

You can not say in Yiddish " di kleyner velt".
Velt here is feminine singular nominative case and it has to be <kleyne>.
 This is basic Yiddish grammar.  Look at Weinreich's chapter 2. This has
nothing whatsoever to do "hoykhe fenster" or YIVO Yiddish or anything else.
  Every single Jew Eastern Europe no matter his/her dialect would say
<kleyne> in that sentence.

As for the word order, there are only 3 ways to render in proper Yiddish
what Trudi wrote.  (We won't bother with Trudi's 98% German sentence which
Trudi is also convinced is a dialect of Yiddish and also believed is
correct.)

Your correction of the original was:
<dayn velt iz di kleyner velt> <mayn is gants andersh ikh denk, ober zis>

there are three possibilities:

Dayn velt iz a kleyne velt.  Mayn iz, denk ikh, gants andersh, ober zis.

Dayn velt iz a kleyne velt.  Mayn iz gants andersh, denk ikh, ober zis.

Dayn velt iz a kleyne velt.  Ikh meyn az mayn velt iz gants andersh, ober
zis.

What Trudi wrote followed English word order.

"Mine is very different I think, but sweet."

Yiddish word order is very different.  Yiddish word order has very, very
little dialectal variations, if any.

<Ikh denk> is an independent clause and can not be inserted in the middle
of a sentence.  For that clause to be inserted, the word order has to
change so that the verb "iz" is the second unit of the sentence.  This is
lesson one in College Yiddish, Wolf.  Let your wife Paula explain it to
you.

>You know very well that the scholars  have designated 4 distinct regional
>Yiddish dialects/styles not counting the overlaps.  If you choose to claim
the
><hoykhe fenster> Yiddishof the textbooks is the only real deal, , that is
your
>right, but it doesn't make me wrong, either.
>Weinreich, because of his personal hang-ups, omitted much of the people's
>Yiddish in a silly attempt to shoehorn the language or as  he apparently
>thought, to elevate it.

Wolf, there is no dialect in Eastern Yiddish where you are correct on
either points.  All dialects agree on this point and I know all the 3
Eastern dialects intimately well.  What you wrote above shows total lack of
understanding of the standardization of the language.  I don't know which
Weinreich you are referring to, but neither Uriel or Max single handedly
standardized the language.  A committee of at least 20+ people did that
over many years.  Uriel's College Yiddish reflects that work.  No language
text book puts in dialectal variations and no one but you expected him to.
 Uriel W. was very well aware of all the exceptions and he worked very hard
on documenting all dialectal variations and all the exceptions to every
rule and all that work still sits at Columbia's Yiddish Language and
Culture Atlas for anyone to check.  (You can e-mail them and ask them this
very question.   They have a web site.)  We at Columbia studied both the
rules and the exceptions and I assure you that the word "velt" is not one
of the exceptions. Your unfair comments about Weinreich indicate extreme
ignorance and lack of understanding of what the whole linguistic process
was about.

>> Wolf, you have to know Yiddish well in order to offer corrections.
>
>Reyzl,  I may not be a stone expert like Herzog or Shaechter,  but to  say
>that I don't know it well is really condescending.

Wolf, you don't know it, stone or no stone.  Admitting making a mistake
can't be this traumatic Wolf.

* Yiddish is my first languge.  I  may not have learnt it in yeshiva,

Many people can claim that Yiddish is their first language, but that
doesn't necessarily mean that they speak it well.  There are millions of
examples of bad Yiddish speakers whose first language was Yiddish.  I
wouldn't bother to correct you unless I knew that there a lot of performers
on this list who sing in Yiddish and they need to see all Yiddish correct
and properly transcribed.  If someone makes mistakes in correcting other
people, well that can't be ignored.

> and am not a grammarian, but it is the people's Yiddish. Like Elvis'
> English, if I may be permitted to draw a parallel. Maybe Lawrence Olivier
> would have winced, but that wouldn't have  made Elvis' speech
"incorrect",
> just a different regional speech.

Wolf, this is total hogwash.  Ask your mother to translate the sentence
into Yiddish and I can guarantee you that she wouldn't make the mistakes
you made.  The most uneducated Eastern European Jew, no matter what his/her
dialect, would not make these mistakes.

Reyzl
A Yiddish language instructor since January, 1971.