Re: tsvay strunes

Joe Kurland <ganeydn (at) crocker(dot)com> wrote:

> If you don't want to ruin a good
fiddle, you can get a reverse curve bow
> and leave the bow hair rather loose.  This way you can play 3 strings at
> once without flattening the bridge and switch to your regular bow for
> playing melody.  Search for a Baroque bow or a Greek lyra bow to get one
> with a reverse curve.

But, even though a lot of people these days are familiar with the
three-string Transylvanian-style viola, some of us are still more
familiar with four-string violas played by Gypsies of Slovak or
Hungarian background. They mostly play on two strings. The musician
Gypsy community of Detroit (ancestors came from Saris, Slovakia, late
19th century) always had such viola players, but the last one died a
few years ago, the arch-top guitar mostly having replaced it.

Another possible survival is the second fiddling of Volga Germans,
still done in the '20s in Colorado, but I don't know whether anyone
out there still plays it. I think that both this and Hungarian Gypsy
styles (or rather instrumentation) derive from Bohemian Jewish styles
of the 17th century.  The Volga Germans held it sideways, like the
Hungarian Gypsies. Their ancestors came mostly from Hesse in central
Germany in the 1760s, and they preserved a style which died out in
Germany itself.

Nobody's mentioned that "tsvay strunes" is the Turkish chifte telli,
also used in Romania.

> Now here's a question.  In Hungarian Gypsy fiddling, I understand that
> sekund refers to counter melodies and Contra refers to the chording.  How
> did sekund become the word for chording in Jewish fiddling.

I can't answer the second, but in Hungarian Gypsy music, at least
among American Gypsies, "tenor" is the term used to describe the part
which plays parallel harmony with the primas, or lead violinist.
Maybe Josh can say what the Hungarian term is. This is a relatively
recent development, like mid-19th century, probably associated with
Viennese waltz music. In 19th century American dance music, "second"
fiddling was pretty common, rhythmic chordal playing. How this relates
to other traditions is a bit mysterious.

Nettl's list of Prague musicians about 1650 (in Walter Salmen's book)
shows that there were four groups, each with two violins, cimbal,
bass, and harpsichord, at least the way I interpret it. Based on later
practice, one might interpret that the harpsichord was used in
relgious services, the cimbal substituting for it at dances, taverns,
etc. Then of the two violins, one played the melody, and the other an
accompaniment (chords, drones). There may be Italian influence
at work here, if there is early 17th-century evidence for chordal
playing in the second violin part. The influence could also be coming
from the two-fiddle music popular in the 16th and earlier 17th
century around Lvov and in Moldavia. These fiddles were called
"serbska" and probably equivalent to the lira da braccio (or Sorbian
"husla," Polish "smyk," etc.), all of Byzantine origin.

What about the terms "primas" and "kontras"? I've seen the term
_Primgeiger_ in old German texts. Obviously this comes from violino
primo, first violin. But it would be interesting to know how "kontra"
got in there.  Presumably Yiddish "sekund" would derive from "violino
secondo." Thus the origin may be due more to Italian than to Galician
influences.  Any ideas?

Paul Gifford

t wanted to mention that Steve Greenman has been playing
tsvay strunes