Re: Pete Seeger, Ladino, Ashkenaz

HI, all. Fascinating, detailed reply by Judith, as always.

I think Simon was defending me against myself, actually!! Anyway, I
consider myself an expert in the Sephardic repertory as embodied in
commercial recordings. I look to Judith, to Edwin Seroussi and to many
others for insights into the songs, the language and the culture. I've
clearly got a lifetime of learning ahead of me.

Now, to the main points. It is really fascinating to me how many different
versions of a given Sephardic song exist in commercial recordings. They
have been "klezmerized", arranged as classical style compositions, done in
EM style, folk song style, western art song style, pseudo-original style,
big band style, a capella (sp?), instrumental, middle eastern, choral, etc.
etc. Not to mention the practitioners born to the tradition and how they
perform, too.

I think part of this diversity is reflective of the strength of these songs
- it's hard to ruin them, no matter what! But at least for the Early Music
movement, the allure of the (often mistaken) patina of antiquity proves
irresistible. Sephardic songs are in the repertoire of literally dozens of
EM groups. None of these groups would look to the oral tradition of the
Greeks, or Albanians, or Estonians (to name just a few) for repertoire.

To Judith's point about growing up and then changing it: Interestingly some
of the most "misleading" arrangements of Sephardic music (by this, I mean
misleading if one is trying to understand how the songs actually originally
sounded when collected) were done by Sephardim steeped in Sephardic musical
culture. I'm thinking principally of Alberto Hemsi, but also Isaac Levy.
They smoothed out the rhythms and the harmonies and the ornamentation of
all the songs they set, and have for better or worse become a touchstone
for a whole generation of performers.

As always, happy when the conversation turns to Sephardic music!

B'shalom,

Joel