Re: Ladino, Springtime in Salonica

Hi, all. Checking in remotely, and following this thread conversation wtih
interest.

Simon makes me out to be more of a scholar than I am. I'd gleefully admit
to being an idiot savant on Sephardic recordings, but not too much more
beyond that...<G>

Best,

Joel

At 02:26 PM 8/29/99 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 8/29/99 6:09:47 AM, judithrc (at) hotmail(dot)com writes:
>
><< And re the appearance of a book of "ladino music" - there really is, I
>repeat (sorry !) no one thing which can be called "Ladino music"; indeed
>this is a bit of a misnomer as the music is not "Ladino"; the words are.If
>the forthcoming songbook is, say, from Salonica, then it's a book of
>Judeo-Spanish (or Ladino, if one insists) songs from Salonica, or Sephardic
>songs from the Salonica tradition, or whatever. (I'm looking forward to it,
>too!)Judith
>  >>

>The book has no connection to the "...Salonika" disc. There is a natural
>tendency to think that the Jewish world is divided into 2 parts, Ashkenazy
>and Sephardic. Of course, that isn't the case. Under the "Sepahrdic" label,
>there are so many sub-catagories, that I would have to double the floor space
>just to "properly" label each disc.
>
>I have pulled any of the "Judeo-Spanish" (Ladino to me) music out of  the
>"Sephardic" section for the simple reason that it automatically informs the
>customer that the recording is in "Spanish". Though "Ladino music is
>Sephardic, not all Sephardic music is in "Spanish" ; therefore, I
>differentiate to make it easier for the "uneducated" consumer that is willing
>to try something totally new.
>
>Joel Bresler and I have spoken many times of the differences in Sephardic
>(Ladino) music and dialects. He has been very helpful with my education.
>However, to the casual music buyer (who purchase the majority of the "Ladino"
>music), those academic differences matter very little. I will leave the
>academic aspects of this topic to the scholars...as for me....... I knew when
>to get out of college.
>
>Simon

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:           781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Cell:           781-622-0309
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com