Re: Ladino, Springtime in Salonica

In a message dated 8/29/99 6:09:47 AM, judithrc (at) hotmail(dot)com writes:

<< And re the appearance of a book of "ladino music" - there really is, I
repeat (sorry !) no one thing which can be called "Ladino music"; indeed
this is a bit of a misnomer as the music is not "Ladino"; the words are.If
the forthcoming songbook is, say, from Salonica, then it's a book of
Judeo-Spanish (or Ladino, if one insists) songs from Salonica, or Sephardic
songs from the Salonica tradition, or whatever. (I'm looking forward to it,
too!)Judith

The book has no connection to the "...Salonika" disc. There is a natural
tendency to think that the Jewish world is divided into 2 parts, Ashkenazy
and Sephardic. Of course, that isn't the case. Under the "Sepahrdic" label,
there are so many sub-catagories, that I would have to double the floor space
just to "properly" label each disc.

I have pulled any of the "Judeo-Spanish" (Ladino to me) music out of  the
"Sephardic" section for the simple reason that it automatically informs the
customer that the recording is in "Spanish". Though "Ladino music is
Sephardic, not all Sephardic music is in "Spanish" ; therefore, I
differentiate to make it easier for the "uneducated" consumer that is willing
to try something totally new.

Joel Bresler and I have spoken many times of the differences in Sephardic
(Ladino) music and dialects. He has been very helpful with my education.
However, to the casual music buyer (who purchase the majority of the "Ladino"
music), those academic differences matter very little. I will leave the
academic aspects of this topic to the scholars...as for me....... I knew when
to get out of college.

Simon