Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 1279/Mezz

Ingemar Johansson wrote:

> It should also be remembered that Mezz fought for authentic jazz at a time
> when
> rather superficial swing was the thing. Without Mezz Tommy Ladnier, that
> amazing New Orleans cornetist, wouldn't have had the chance to record anew at
> all (although he died a few years later). Not to speak of that true genius
> Sidney Bechet, if he is known (he has in these circumstances the disadvantage
> of not being a Jew).
>
> And why have you people now, 50 years after, a need to belittle Mezz?

I think things like this are representative of a larger "cultural war"that has
been going on forever and has become particularly acute in our times.

If it's not race, class or religion, it's unacceptable, opprobrious
individuality.

People erroneously equate outlaws with criminals.

I think Mezz makes for a perfectly good "hero"
considering his times and the world he inhabited.

Rollin' and tumblin',

Wolf