Re: Phish Thread- Al Kol Aileh

Am glad I'm not the only one heretofore ignorant of this example of a
borrowed melody--and interested in it.  Related to Bob's question (or in the
neighborhood of it), Syrian Jews draw on Arabic melodies for so-called
"pizmonim"--new (usu. Hebrew, I believe) words to (usu.) a borrowed
melody--now, sometimes, melodies borrowed from American life. Kay Shelemay
(I shd have the sp right and hope I do) has documented this, in a recording
and, I believe recently, a book.

>From: "robert wiener" <wiener (at) mindspring(dot)com>
>To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>Subject: Re: Phish Thread- Al Kol Aileh
>Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:31:21 -0400
>
>Eliezer,
>
>Can you tell us which song served as the basis of "Al Kol Aileh"?
>I don't believe that I've ever heard Abdel Wahab's work.  Maybe on
>Atlantic Avenue (Brooklyn).
>
>The blurb below comes from the All Music Guide.  It's interesting to
>read that Abdel Wahab drew on Western music.  (If he were alive today,
>would he be listening to Phish?)   I guess that this is just another
>example of the cross-fertilization of musical styles.  Are there other
>examples of Arabic (Egyptian) tunes that became Jewish (Israeli) hits?
>Or vice versa?
>
>As a singer and an influence on Egyptian music during its renaissance,
>Abdel Wahab was equaled only by Umm
>  Kulthum. But while she was a traditionalist to the core, Abdel Wahab
>believed in learning from Western music.   Yet he too was a musical
>nationalist, renewing rather than diluting Egyptian tradition.
>Starting from a highly traditional sound as a teenager, he gradually
>moved into a highly varied (and internationally popular) film-based
>repertoire. But besides contributing to the pop world, he introduced
>more fundamental elements, such as long instrumental passages, a major
>element in his work. -- John Storm Roberts, All-Music Guide
>
>Bob

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->