Re: San Francisco

At 08:10 AM 7/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>We're off to San Francisco for just a few days at the end of August.
>Do any of you have suggestions as to Jewish Music sounds to hear
>(e.g., Cantor Roslyn Barak at Temple Emanu-El, although she'll
>probably be on vacation), sites to visit (such as record stores with
>Jewish Music, especially with LPs), or sights to see?

The Afikomen bookstore, in Oakland (on the Berkeley border) is a
must-visit. Tell them I sent you. If you get a chance, it would also
be a pleasure to see the "bob and bob" bookstore in Palo Alto, within
walking distance of downtown.

There are two Jewish museums--one in SF, one in Berkeley, as well as
a Jewish Library. For complete listings, check out the local Northern
California Jewish Bulletin's website,
   http://www.jewish.com/
The Bulletin is one of the few =great= Jewish weeklies. Their resource
guide to SF cultural resources is at
   http://jewish.com/search/Jewish_City_Guides/San_Francisco_Bay_Area/

There are a number of local musicians, klezmer bands, and the like. You
may want to take a quick look at the klezmer shack's listings by location:

http://www.klezmershack.com/contacts/klezbyloc.html

E-mailing local musicians should also get you info on the entire
spectrum of Jewish music and who is performing what while you're there.

Hope that gets you started!

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/