Re: Being sensitive to a Yiddishe crowd

>They came. They played. They left.   Not a memorable experience.
>Unfortunately, I have felt the same way with Andy Statman's performance's.

It is worth remembering, too, that not every band, however hard
it tries, is able to make every performance a peak experience.
Sometimes, it is just an off night. Those of us who saw the
New Orleans Klezmer AllStars a few months ago commented how off
the band seemed on that particular tour, and how unusual it was.

This is particularly unfortunate when you consider that attending
a klezmer concert is a rare concert experience for most people, so
that one concert may have been the sole opportunity to pull them in.
But, still, it's fair to acknowledge that more programming, and more
diverse programming are probably the better solution than beating up
on one band for one non-peak performance.

And it's okay to recognize that some bands are not appropriate to
some audiences. The aforementioned NOKAS probably wouldn't be my
first choice of a band to play at an event where people were
expecting traditional klezmer and yiddish tunes.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/