RE: Comparing Incomparables

Reyzl asked:
>Please tell us what you know about Brandwein.  I know nothing about him.
>
>But more nuts than Zappa, I don't know if that's possible.

Almost everything I know about Brandwein is contained in Henry Sapoznik's
liner notes to 'Naftule Brandwein- King of the Klezmer Clarinet', Rounder
Records CD 1127. I do know this: Zappa was a workaholic, Brandwein an
alchoholic. Zappa was highly disciplined in his approach, Brandwein didn't
read music. Zappa honobbed with Vaclev Havel, Brandwein hobnobbed with
Murder Inc. Some Zappa shows featured a blowup dollie named 'Suzy
Creamcheese' on stage, Brandwein dropped his pants on stage... Well, maybe
in some ways, they weren't all THAT different.
                EK