RE: Nussach & Niggunim: Our Liturgical Music

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of winston weilheimer
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 1999 12:30 PM
To: World music from a Jewish slant.
Subject: RE: Nussach & Niggunim: Our Liturgical Music
as a follow up to the prior post quoted below...please see my comments at
the end of the paragraph.

>>without reposting the long post of robert cohen, I agree completely with
the
sentiment of nusach for the holidays.  it provides the tam of the day.  who
could not be moved by the introduction to baruchu on yom kippur.  on yom
tovim i cringe when the sheliach tzibur does not use the nusach for musaf.
It gets me in the mood when I hear (or use myself) the special melodies that
for the repitition that lead up to tifillat geshem an tal.  We do loose out
when these are not used.  The problem is that they are not taught to many
congregations and the fact is that they are lost in many areas.  When I
daven in a shul and use these melodies, i always get people from the
congregation come up to me and tell me that they have not heard them for 20
years or more.  It is part of the hamiginization i am afraid.
At the risk of reopening a can of worms, i visited B'nai Torah Congregation
on Shavuot.  The chazan, Yihuda Shifman, was wonderful, his choir was
wonderful, and it was steeped in yom tov nusach.  It was a beautiful service
and very moving, all the more so not only because of the cantor and choir,
but because of the NUSACH.

Winston Weilheimer
Lay Rabbi
Temple Israel of Deland (Florida)