Re: Project on Yizkor book

Marvin:

Can you elaborate, please?

The last time I checked, U.S. copyright (in the case of songs, anyway)
extended up until 50 years after the death of the last
writer/composer(s).
Are you saying this has now automatically been amended to 75 years?
If so, it would mean that a lot of musicians and record companies now owe

the estates of deceased writers and composers a lot of royalties.
Plus the printed information regarding copyright notices on a lot of
future re-issues will have to be amended.

What happens to, say, all the  material that  has been categorized as
Public Domain ( after the 50 -year  period) but is still within the
75-year timeframe?
Does it fall out of Public Domain and back into private ownership?

Or does the new 75-year period only affect new work published after a
certain date?

How does this affect the use of material created  by writers who were
based in countries other than the U.S.  and whose songs were published
and/or registered with "foreign" performing rights societies, --  when
used  by
U.S. artists and record companies today?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

Wolf Krakowski

Kame'a Media
www.kamea.com
(Now with MP3 soundclips.)