Re: Project on Yizkor book

In a message dated 5/24/99 9:49:09 AM, physchem (at) earthlink(dot)net writes:

<< The information I found there is that the
basic copyright for work authored after 1975 extends for 70 years from the
death of the author, or of the last to die of multiple authors.  >>

We supply a lot of music for the film industry. Last week one of our regular
clients was looking for info on "Ein Keloheinu" which he is placing in a new
film. I asked him about the copyright extentions and he told me that a lot of
publishers, as the expiration of copyrights near, out of nowhere, will find
an "uncredited living co-writer" on a song that is about to expire. This is
done when the credited writer(s) have died. Naturally, since the "new found
co-writer" is still alive, it extends the copyright. This is done with the
permission of the original composer's estate, since otherwise, they would no
longer collect royalties.

Simon
Hatikavh Music