Rabbi Louk

Rabbi Louk is an astounding, charming performer who is, indeed, world famous.
I attended a
concert by him at UCLA May 9.  He was backed by 4 instrumentalists, at least 2
of whom were not
Jewish, but are Moroccan Moslems.  I am told that about 1/3 of the audience for
this Sunday
afternoon concert were Moroccan Moslems.  He is the rabbi of the Moroccan
synagogue in North
Hollywood, an area of the San Fernando Valley suburbs of LA(the dreaded
"Valley" as in "Valley
Girls").  He has a beautiful clear singing voice and is an absolutely virtuosic
performer.  His
love of the music and the texts pours out of him in a totally engaging way.
His command of the
maqam improvisational style is immediately apparent even if you aren't that
familiar with that
style of music. I have forgotten the name of the synagogue, but if you email
Prof. Edwin
Seroussi at UCLA (seroussi (at) ucla(dot)edu) he can give your friend specific
contact information.  The
Moroccan Jewish liturgical style is most beautiful and heavily influenced by
the music of
Andalusia.  If any list subscribers ever have an opportunity to hear Rabbi Louk
- no matter what
your own background is (I'm a secular Yiddishist) - drop everything and go!

Shira Lerner

PS - Prof. Seroussi is a marvelous speaker on sephardic (including Moroccan)
Jewish music, by
the way.  Your friend might want to consider involving him in some way.  I
expect that he'll be
back in Israel after the end of spring quarter (mid-June)at UCLA.  He was only
here for 2
quarters as a visiting professor.